NOTE: Currently, most of these opportunities are tentatively reserved. But check back to see if any have opened up, or ask about being added to the waitlist!
Church Worker Mission Education Team
This opportunity is designed to introduce LCMS church worker students (deaconess, seminary, DCE, DCO, and Lutheran teachers) to all aspects of the Dominican Republic Lutheran Mission, as well as the life and work of various overseas missionary roles.
Your team will have the chance for experiences like:
- Participating in or leading activities in our Lutheran schools and/or local public schools;
- Interacting with youth & adults with intellectual & developmental disabilities;
- Worship/Bible study in one or more local churches;
- Community home visits;
- Leading activities for missionary kids;
- Dinners in missionary host homes;
- Light construction projects (painting, landscaping, cleaning, organizing);
- Shadowing missionary pastors, deaconesses, communications people, and business people.
Mercy Outreach Team RESERVED
Support the church’s mercy outreach efforts in a variety of ways. Your team could be involved in activities like:
- Leading Bible stories and other activities at Kilometer 28, site of a state-run psychiatric hospital and rehabilitation center for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD);
- Spending time with the six youth with IDD who live at the Good Shepherd Lutheran Homes group home;
- Interior & exterior facility improvements to the group home;
- Community home visits to church members with IDD.
Educational Support Team RESERVED
Support education in the church’s two Lutheran schools and/or local public schools with activities that may include but are not limited to:
- Holding an open house or passing out flyers to help boost enrollment;
- Participating in or leading devotions, songs, prayers, etc.;
- Showing appreciation for teachers, faculty, and staff;
- Community home visits to school families;
- Interior & exterior facility improvements;
- Cleaning/organizing, and more.
Health Outreach Team RESERVED
Spend a week engaging in various outreach activities related to health (spiritual, mental, emotional, physical) and the promotion and preservation of life from conception to natural death.
Topics your team might consider include:
- Wellness talks in local churches (i.e. nutrition, women’s health);
- Health checks (height & weight, blood pressure, glucose, etc.) in local churches;
- Well-child checks in Lutheran schools;
- Community home visits to sick or chronically ill members.
Vacation Bible School Teams RESERVED
Lead a week-long Vacation Bible School (Bible stories, crafts, games, music, snacks, etc.) at one of the local Lutheran congregations. The congregations want to use the VBS as an outreach to their communities, providing them with new opportunities for pastoral follow-up.
Depending on which congregation hosts the VBS, your team will also have opportunities to be involved in activities such as men’s outreach, missionary kid ministry, community outreach activities, and ministry to adults with intellectual & developmental disabilities.
Volleyball Camp Team RESERVED
Lead a week-long volleyball camp for children & youth at Iglesia Luterana Amigos de Cristo. While volleyball skills and fundamentals should be the focus, traditional VBS elements like Bible stories, songs, games, snacks, and crafts may be included.
Your team may also be able to assist with cleaning/preparing an unpaved, overgrown area near the church to be used as an outdoor play space.