“I saw God at work through the school and seminary in Palmar. We got to go to chapel and see the kids sing, we got to spend time with the kids at the group home which was very eye opening and very fun. It was amazing to see these kids attend the church services.”
-June 2019 Volunteer
Educational Support Team
Support education in the church’s two Lutheran schools and/or local public schools with activities that may include but are not limited to:
- Holding an open house or passing out flyers to help boost enrollment;
- Participating in or leading devotions, songs, prayers, etc.;
- Showing appreciation for teachers, faculty, and staff;
- Community home visits to school families;
- Interior & exterior facility improvements;
- Cleaning/organizing, and more.
Health Outreach Team
Spend a week engaging in various outreach activities related to health (spiritual, mental, emotional, physical) and the promotion and preservation of life from conception to natural death.
Topics your team might consider include:
- Wellness talks in local churches (i.e. nutrition, women’s health);
- Health checks (height & weight, blood pressure, glucose, etc.) in local churches;
- Well-child checks in Lutheran schools;
- Community home visits to sick or chronically ill members.
Playground Renovation Team
Renovate two playgrounds (one for little kids and one for older kids) in Palmar Arriba.
Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- painting/repairing existing equipment & benches
- building additional benches
- leveling terrain
- painting cinder block walls
- building or installing new equipment
- adding an overhang for shade
- installing a recycled tire border
Vacation Bible School Teams
Lead a weeklong Vacation Bible School (Bible stories, crafts, games, music, snacks, etc.) at one of the local Lutheran congregations. The congregations want to use the VBS as an outreach to their communities, providing them with new opportunities for pastoral follow-up.
Depending on which congregation hosts the VBS, your team will also have opportunities to be involved in activities such as men’s outreach, missionary kid ministry, community outreach activities, and ministry to adults with intellectual & developmental disabilities.
Volleyball Camp Team
Lead a week-long volleyball camp for children & youth at Iglesia Luterana Amigos de Cristo. While volleyball skills and fundamentals should be the focus, traditional VBS elements like Bible stories, songs, games, snacks, and crafts may be included.
Your team may also be able to assist with cleaning/preparing an unpaved, overgrown area near the church to be used as an outdoor play space.